baby · molly june

molly june


Introducing Molly June, born at 10:42pm on June 28th, 7 pounds 1 ounce, 19 inches long.

And while I’m here: her birth story!

My due date was June 22 and my mom wanted to come to help us out after Molly was born.  Given that my parents live about 11 hours away, we tried to guess when would be a good time for her to come based on my progress at doctor appointments.  I was also strep B positive, which meant that ideally I would receive 4 hours of antibiotics prior to the birth (if I didn’t get 4 hours worth then I would need to stay in the hospital 48 hours rather than 24 – not what we wanted).  My mom arrived at our house on June 21.  We were thrilled to have her and hopeful we would have a baby soon.  Monday (my due date) came and went.  Mom took on plenty of projects around the house – cleaning things I don’t normally get to (like scrubbing my radiators, wiping down baseboards, etc.) and sewing a bunch of curtains for me for various rooms.

Early Friday morning I was having contractions.  They weren’t painful but given how fast Kate’s labor went once it took off, we thought we should go to the hospital.  We arrived and got set up with antibiotics.  Four hours later and two rounds of antibiotics the doctor checked me.  I hadn’t really progressed so she stripped my membranes and discharged me, telling me to come back if my contractions picked up.  The antibiotics would be good in my system until midnight that night, so we were hopeful.  We went home and went on a long walk and I even went for a 2.5 mile run to try to encourage things along.  It seemed to do the opposite, as my contractions completely stopped.  Frustrating, but oh well.

Fast forward to early Sunday morning and again, contractions.  This time they felt a little stronger – not painful but I could feel them more than Friday morning.  I debated about the hospital but in the end thought we should go, since we would need to redo the antibiotics.  We got there and they monitored me for a bit and then told me to go walk for an hour and come back and be monitored again.  We did and after the second monitoring I was discharged again – as labor was stalled out again and I hadn’t progressed really (Friday I had been 2cm and Sunday morning I was just 3cm).  I was feeling really emotional at this point – I felt stupid for going to the hospital twice with false labor and I felt confused about what was happening – why contractions would start and stop, why I wasn’t progressing, how I was supposed to know when to come in or not.  The doctor told me to wait until they were every 5 minutes, 1 minute long, for an hour, which helped me to have a solid idea of what I was looking for (prior to this it was more a vague, “when labor starts” since we knew I might go fast).

The rest of Sunday I basically had no contractions.  We went to Walmart and picked up groceries, went for some walks, etc.  Dave and I went to bed around 8pm that night.  At 9:30pm I woke up to a monster contraction – right away I was breathing to get through it, concentrating on staying relaxed.  I grabbed my phone and started timing them.  They were coming every 3 minutes and lasting a minute.  After 20 minutes I woke up Dave and told him that I was having contractions and they were really hurting.  He immediately got up and said we needed to get ready for the hospital.  I said no, that we were supposed to wait for an hour, but he said we were going now (smart man).  I got up at 10pm to get dressed and my water broke.  Contractions started coming every 2 minutes and 1 minute then.  We hurried out to the car, hugged my mom goodbye, and drove to the hospital (fortunately just a mile away for us).  I gratefully accepted the wheelchair ride up to labor and delivery and we got checked in to our room.  I changed in to my gown just after 10:20 and told the nurse I felt a lot of pressure.  She checked me and yep, I was complete (truthfully I had been feeling pressure starting about when my water broke, so I think I was complete way earlier).  I started pushing, our doctor arrived (luckily she lives close to the hospital, too), and at 10:42pm Molly arrived!

It was a crazy fast labor and delivery, which made it challenging while I was in it, because I felt like I was on a runaway train.  There was no buildup or adjusting to the labor – it was just there, full-force, and all-in.  But it also made things so much easier.  Physically I’ve recovered much quicker because my body didn’t have to work for very long – I wasn’t all-body sore or exhausted like I was with Leo and Kate.  And because labor was so fast, we still got to go home after 24 hours, which we were really grateful for!


Leo and Kate have both adjusted really well – they love to give Molly kisses and Katie loves to touch her eyes, ears, nose, mouth, etc.  Then after they kiss her they completely forget about her and get on with their normal play.



Molly is gaining weight well – at her 10 day appointment yesterday she was 7 pounds 8 ounces.  She’s pretty mellow overall (moreso than I remember Kate or Leo being) and a good sleeper and eater.  She’s made the adjustment from 2 to 3 remarkably smooth (so far).


We love her to bits and are so so glad she is here!  (I’m realizing we are definitely missing a family photo of all 5 of us… we clearly need to get on that!  And one of the three kids!)


9 thoughts on “molly june

  1. Congratulations Kim, Dave, Leo and Kate! Molly is another beauty! Since you haven’t blogged, I’ve been trying to keep up with your Instagram photos, but most of them aren’t viewable from the blog. I still enjoy seeing the ones that are available! 🙂 So happy for your adorable family!

  2. Congratulations! Molly is a little doll. I am personally glad to see you here writing about Molly’s birth story, even if it will be awhile until you can write again. Love the beautiful photos of your kiddos, and we wish you peaceful days in the next few newborn months.

  3. Ooo! I can’t wait to see that family pic of all five of you! I hope your mom got one! 🙂

    Congrats! She is so beautiful! And man, what a crazy adventure. I am happy when the time came it was quick and you weren’t that sore! I hope you are feeling better day by day! 🙂

Comments are closed.