I’m super excited to say Kate is now 7lbs. 4oz.! She was 6lbs. 14oz. at birth (11-18) and 6lbs. 9oz. two days post-birth. At her two week check-up yesterday the midwife was looking to see that she was back to birth weight, so her exceeding that was really great! Leo struggled to gain weight as a baby and I had a lot of issues with my supply, so knowing Kate is gaining was a HUGE relief! Here are some of the things that made a difference, at least in my opinion.
- Leo didn’t nurse for the first 24 hours because he’d swallowed fluid during birth. The nurses in the hospital weren’t concerned about this but, in retrospect, I don’t think it helped my supply start off well.
- Leo was jaundiced the first week (we were thisclose to needing a light blanket) which made him really sleepy and hard to keep awake for feelings.
- Leo and Kate both had tongue ties, which can affect latch and feeding. Leo’s wasn’t found til he was a week old and being circumcised; Kate’s was found at two days old during her PKU blood draw.
- As a first timer I took Leo off when he seemed done instead of giving him a break and then trying to see if he would eat more. Feedings were much shorter, which did not set me up to build a good supply.
- I’ve been really diligent about drinking a ton of water this time around.
- My body probably has a better idea of what to do now that it’s done it once before.
Hooray for growing, gaining babies!