It’s been about 2 years since I swam laps. Seriously, I think it’s been that long. The university where I work has a lap pool, but I’m only in the office one day a week most weeks and it’s almost 2 hours away, so I can’t really use it everyday (as much as I would love that… and did in the past when I lived there!). Anyhow, the last time I swam laps was pre-Leo, back in the summer of 2010. But this week I got motivated to swim again. I really love swimming and I missed it.
Yesterday I got up at 4am, poured a giant mug of coffee, and jumped right in the car, bags packed. I got to the pool a little before 6am. In 2010 the pool was pretty hopping with a group of regular morning swimmers and then a rotating mix of sometimes-swimmers. But the YMCA in town opened a pool last year and I think it stole a lot of clientele. I don’t mind – I had the entire pool to myself, save for one guy who came in for part of the time.
I ended up swimming 50 laps – 2500 yards – which is just shy of 1.5 miles. In 2010 I think I tried to swim 50-75 laps, so I was happy that after two years I could still bust it out!
I definitely think I’ll repeat this on the days I’m in the office. It was great to be back in the pool and nice to change up my workout.
A couple lessons learned:
- Counting laps is easier if you count them in increments of 10. I tend to get lost around 21 and start to doubt if I did 21 or if I’m on 21 or did I skip 20 altogether?
- Swimsuits fit differently 2 years later and post-baby. Thankfully, spandex has some give. (Perhaps this is also a “thankfully there weren’t many people at the pool.”)
- Getting ready in a gym locker room takes waaaaaay less time than at home. I was showered, dressed, hair styled, and makeup-ed in 15 minutes. I got to the office early. By 40 minutes.
- By 10am you will start to think that surely the day is half over. Right? Right?
- Fabric lycra/spandex swim caps are the best. I find the plastic caps to be super awkward and difficult to put on. It’s a little embarrassing how difficult I find them to be.
- I wear my goggles so tight that by the end I have a slight eye/face ache. But water in my goggles drives me craaazy so I guess that’s winning?