It’s been a loooong week over here, despite it barely being past midweek. On Monday we decided to try to move Leo to one nap. We think he is ready and we’re also hoping it helps him sleep longer/later at nights (more like 7pm-6am or even 7am). Prior to this our schedule broke down as such:
- 10am: morning nap for 45-60minutes
- 2pm: afternoon nap for 1.5-2 hours
- 7:30pm: bedtime
- 5-5:30am: generally when Leo would wake up
- 6am: when we actually got him up (we would check on him if he was really crying but otherwise let him fuss on and off in his crib until 6 in an effort to teach him 1) he doesn’t determine when it’s time to get up and 2) to go back to sleep)
We thought missing the morning nap would be the hardest part of this whole thing. OH HOW WRONG WE WERE. Here’s what it’s looked like instead:
- 12pm: nap for 2.5-3 hours (except yesterday when it was 1.5 hours and he woke up still tired)
- 7pm: bedtime
- 4:15am: when Leo wakes up
- 6am: when we actually get him up
Here’s the thing about 4:15am. It is an ugly hour. It’s ugly for Leo, it’s ugly for us. It’s also insanely frustrating because he is clearly tired and needing to sleep more, but instead lays in his crib and cries and fusses and slaps the wall and fights fights fights.
I love drinking my coffee to the sound of fussing. It’s the soundtrack of a happy, peaceful morning leading to a happy, awesome day.
Despite it, I think we are making progress. Fifteen minutes ago – at 5:45am – Leo finally fell back asleep after being awake for an hour and a half. I’ll take that as a huge victory and a sign of hope that maybe we can push through this.
I know this all sounds bitter and sarcastic and whiny. It’s also honest. I know we made the decision to move Leo and I know it’s probably a lot harder on him making the adjustment and figuring out these new hours. We do still think it’s the right move and we do think we’ll get there, eventually. Probably right around the time change when everything will get moved again…
More coffee please.
Completely unrelated except still pertaining to Leo – this picture melts me: