July was a great reading month, not necessarily because I read a ton of books (I read 5), but because so many of them were really-good-recommend-to-a-friend!
A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch
- Grade: A. Loved this book. It’s a mystery but light-hearted and fun. I think the author has another book and I definitely want to read it! My friend Stephanie recommended it. Her recommendations never fail. Seriously. Never. She’s a book ninja.
Friends Like Us by Lauren Fox
- Grade: C. A light, kind of silly read. Entertaining, but the main character was also somewhat annoying.
Eat & Run by Scott Jurek
- Grade: A. Scott Jurek (as you probably know) is an ultramarathon vegan. It was interesting to read this the same month we tried going dairy-free. It definitely wasn’t as good as Born to Run, but it was still good. He is a machine!
The Soldier’s Wife by Margaret Leroy
- Grade: B. Solid book. Didn’t crack my list of favorites, but definitely would be one I would say “yeah, that’s a good one to read.”
Girl in Translation by Janet Kwok
- Grade: A. My cousin Wendy sent me this book after she finished it and I loved it. I have a definite affinity for Chinese American books (Amy Tan, Lisa See, etc.). The family dynamics and culture are so fascinating and interesting to read, and the stories are often so beautifully written and woven together through generations or countries. I read this book fast and loved it! (Thanks, Wendy!!)
What have you been reading lately? I’d love to hear!