Surprise! This month’s books all get an “A” from me.
- Say Her Name by Francisco Goldman (novel/memoir)
- The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley
- Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
- My Life in France by Julia Child (nonfiction)
- Something to Declare by Julia Alvarez (nonfiction)
Say Her Name is sad and sweet. The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey has excellent character development and a unique style. While I tend to find Cormac McCarthy disturbingly dark (The Road was sooo bleak), I actually was intrigued by the complexity of his main character in Child of God. The guy is gross and yet you somehow also feel sympathy for him… that’s good writing! My Life in France is interesting and refreshing and such a fun read – I think I might be a little in love with Julia Child now. And Julia Alvarez’s set of essays describes her writing process and writing motivations – so cool and definitely inspiring!