Before Leo arrived I tried to put away a fair amount of freezer meals. My sister-in-law, Jenny, helped me one day in getting a whole bunch in the freezer, and I would also make double batches of soup for Dave and I – half to eat and half to freeze. All that being said, I didn’t want to dip into the freezer meals right away, post-baby. I wanted to save them for a particularly bad day or for when I go back to work. Plus, I was feeling pretty good last week, so I wanted to try to make dinner if I could. Here’s what we had during Leo’s first week:
- in-a-hurry-tamale pie (my mom pretty much made this – even the polenta – while I was in various feedings with Leo)
- lentil barley soup (I made this one) (saute onions and garlic. Add water, barley, lentils, diced tomatoes, cumin, salt, and cayenne. Simmer away!) I made this twice, it was so good. We love having a bunch in the fridge for lunch.
- cauliflower macaroni and cheese (tag team effort between mom and I)
- soba noodle stir fry (mostly me)
- green pepper and tomato pizza (Dave ordered and picked up)
- black bean wet burritoes (Dave ordered, I picked up, mom paid)
Yes, we had takeout twice, but I’m still pretty happy with how the week went. We have a bunch of leftovers in the fridge and a giant pan of lasagna from our neighbors, so we’re pretty set for the next few days if fresh meals don’t get made. I need to get in the habit of looking ahead at the week for meals so I can do my grocery shopping all at once – it will be much harder to just make a run to Kroger for a missing ingredient. Plus, if I have a plan I can prep parts of the meal ahead of time, while Leo is sleeping.
So far this week we’ve just had leftover lasagna (this pan could feed 20, I swear). But Dave and Leo and I are headed to the farmer’s market this afternoon, so I’m thinking we’ll scare up something fresh and veggie-riffic for dinner tonight!
What are you favorite in-a-hurry-but-good-for-you meals?