December was a slightly lower running month for me. My running dropped off at Christmas and hasn’t returned yet – we were traveling, had family visiting, and now I’ve been savoring the last few days of vacation and opportunities to sleep. I hit 81 miles for the month.
Initially I had big goals for 2012 – run 4 to 5 marathons and hit 2012 miles. HA. I suppose that all could have been possible, but it would have required a lot more time and sacrifice for me and for our family. So here’s how the year broke down:
- ran 1259.6 miles - about 700 miles with Leo in the stroller. Here’s a post about Leo and I’s first stroller run – he’s so so so little here!
- swam 9 miles (piddly, but I just started again in November)
- ran 2 marathons – the Carmel marathon, which was horrendously hard and the Presque Isle marathon, which was gloriously enjoyable and put me just 4 minutes away from my PR.
- ran 4 half marathons – the Holy Half (with Leo in the stroller!), the Cleveland Towpath, the Indy Women’s, and the Haunted Hilly Half
- hit 50+mile week a handful of times
All in all, I’m really pleased with this year’s running. I had no idea what to expect coming back to running post-baby – how my body would feel, how it would work timewise, etc. I loved all the stroller runs Leo and I got to go on together – those were such a gift. I’m pleased that I worked in some marathons and although at the time I wished I had done more, I think it was the perfect amount for this year. I’m so grateful for all the ways Dave sacrificed so I could run and race – time, money, emotional support, Leo time. He’s always encouraging of my running, never asking me to hold back because it’s inconvenient (and let’s face it: hanging out with a baby alone in a strange place, probably with park restrooms or port-a-potties while your wife runs for 4+ hours is never convenient).
I’m not sure what my goals are for 2013 yet. I have the goal to beat my half marathon time on the treadmill, although admittedly I’m not sure how realistic that is. I’ve increased my pace, but it’s still not where it needs to be yet. I have more time, so we’ll see how that goes. I’d like to do at least 2 marathons in 2013 again and half marathons, too. This past year I did some of the races more socially – running with friends – and I’d like to do that again this year, while still keeping some races to push myself. I’d like to hit 50+ mile weeks again more consistently. I’d like to beat my mileage for 2012. And hopefully come spring, Leo will be up for some more stroller runs!
How was your running in 2012? What are your goals for 2013? (If you’ve already blogged about it, put a link in the comments!)